I have been in the flow, riding the wave of synchronicity, being washed along by it's current to new discoveries this summer.  It has been an amazing reawakening of what is possible when I follow my curiosity, my intuition, my sparks of inspiration.

I've been working on a speech about finding myself and overcoming anxiety.  I can't turn around without being nudged by synchronicity to check out another writer, artist, speaker, stranger, or acquaintance.  Everywhere I turn I glean some new insight into what my journey has been about and where it has brought me.

What I've discovered is the importance of social communities to find our authentic selves.  I've been reading Sen's Identity and Violence.  Today I discovered Spiro's description of Ubuntu.  I stumbled upon John Hain's word cloud art, one piece of which describes the dualistic mind--and despite my best efforts to be inclusive towards everyone, I draw the line at the point where I begin to question my physical safety.  I found   I read Durant's overview of Spinoza's metaphysics which describes a philosophy of a merged inner world (thought) and outer world (action), a pattern which Durant seems to say is repeated on, fractal like, in larger schemes.  So I've been thinking about how the human race, with all of our social networks, could be like a larger version of our brains, with it's neural network of nerve cells.  So that the more connected our social web, the more we resonate together as a species, the sum of our parts magnifies to larger effect--whether negative of positive depends on our individual identities and the social identities we choose to inhabit.

It's all connected, all these resources are talking about different facets of the same things and I've come upon many of them in the unlikeliest of places.  

I've been working on a speech and the concept of Ubuntu is what a month of reflection working on this speech finally culminated in for me this morning.  After finishing my speech, I stumbled upon Natalie Spiro's TED video in a kind of funny way (I was quoting another TED speaker in my speech, Ali Binazir, and at the beginning of his talk he summarizes the other talks from the day and mentions Natalie Spiro.  I immediately looked her up and couldn't believe that she provided a name for exactly what I'm talking about in my speech: Ubuntu.).   

Another breakthrough came through A Casual Vacancy, J.K. Rowlings novel for adults.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teapots Happen

The Daily Coyote

Library Divination