11:11

I wrote in the "teapots happen" post about how when I told my co-worker the story of another blogger's incredible synchronicity he told me about his tendency to see 11:11, particularly on clocks, even stopped clocks.  This past weekend he emailed me to tell me that he'd just looked at the clock and it was 11:11.

When I came in to work on Monday November 12, another friend and co-worker came in to work on a project with me.  I logged into my email, quickly scanned for anything important, and saw the email and started laughing.  I told my friend about it and she said--really? because I see 11:11 too.  At first I thought she was joking, but she insisted, just ask my friends--they know all about it, it's been happening all my life.  She said that one of her friends had told her that there are a bunch of theories that attempt to explain why a large number of people see 1111 and what it means.  My interest was piqued.

On Friday morning, I was driving to work, flipping through radio stations.  I often listen to NPR but when I flipped past I heard something about God, and kept going.  But something caught my attention--something about God talking to us--and I went back to it.  It was Terry Gross interviewing Tanya Luhrmann about her book "When God Talks Back".  Meanwhile I was studying some construction on the side of the road while driving along.  Quality Care Storage Units was adding more units.  The sign had the time flashing up: 11:11 AM.  Weird, I thought.

After work I picked up my son and decided to take him out for dinner with a coupon I won as a contestant on "The Smartest Iowan".  I have never been to Texas Roadhouse before, and when I ordered I couldn't find what I wanted on the menu--so I just asked the waiter, Chris, for it.  When I got the bill, I glanced at the total ($11.11) and felt a little like laughing.

Twice in one day after a week spent wondering and thinking about 11-11?  And one of the occurrences completely outside of my subconscious control (I didn't do the math in my head because I couldn't find the item on the menu)...weird.

I Googled 11-11 and there are some YouTube videos about the "phenomenon".  One of the more interesting facts I discovered is that multiplying 1s by eachother, a pyramid is the result (the digits in the result ascend and then descend):
11 * 11= 121
111 * 111 = 12321
1,111 * 1,111 = 1234321
11,111 * 11,111 = 123454321

I don't know what this is suppose to mean, but it's beautiful nonetheless.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teapots Happen

The Daily Coyote

Library Divination