Two girls lost

Elizabeth Collins, 9, missing since
July 13, 2012 from Evansdale, Iowa.
Growing up, my mom always said, "Better ask St. Anthony to help you", every time we lost something.  I remember one day when I was 10 or 11 years old my dad lost his wedding ring and everyone searched the house for it.  I prayed to St. Anthony and then I walked into my parents bedroom and lifted the sheet on the bed.  I remember very clearly how the sheet flowed up so elegantly to reveal his gold band, sparkling in the sunlight through the window.  Since then, I've always believed that he is able to help me find what I'm looking for.

Lyric Cook-Morrissey, 10, missing
with her cousin, Elizabeth.
Of course, there are other possible explanations for such phenomena.  For example, maybe praying to St. Anthony gives the searcher just a little bit of hope which renews his or her spirit long enough to succeed.  Or perhaps people invoke the help of some mystical force on a regular basis and only remember the times when the object is found.  I haven't kept stats on all of the times I've asked for help, so I can't say what percentage of times my searches succeed and how long it takes after requesting help before I find what I'm looking for.  I prefer to leave this a mystery and enjoy the tingle of wonder that it leaves me with.  I accept that some things can't be explained and that there are sometimes more important ways of knowing than through science.  

In any case, rational explanations won't stop me from requesting St. Anthony's assistance whenever I need it.  

This weekend St. Anthony again came to my aid.  I had taken the top cover off my lawn mower and set the screws aside; while I was working I absent-minded-ly tipped them into the grass, which I didn't realize until it was time to screw the cover back on.  My son and I searched and searched and found nothing.  I gave up and started the mower without the cover screwed in.  That's when my son came running up behind me and I was forced to turn off the mower.  So I decided to search one more time for the screws while I had the chance.  I explained to my son about St. Anthony as I kneaded one area of grass.  That's when I found the screws, right where I was focusing.  I had been expecting them to be silver and to stand out, but they were actually brown and blended right in with the dirt and the lawn.  If I had continued to glance about on the surface and if I hadn't chosen the right spot and stuck to it, I would have missed them.  

So now, I guess the point of my post is that if St. Anthony can help with lost screws, lost jewels, and lost keys, why don't I ever ask for anything bigger?  I was driving to work this morning, October 23, 2012 and I noticed a billboard with photos of two girls, Lyric Cook-Morrissey,10, and Elizabeth Collins, 9, who had disappeared in Evansdale, Iowa on July 13, 2012.  At the same time a radio story came on about a 12 year old girl, Autumn Pasquale, who had been found dead today after having disappeared over the weekend.  It occurred to me that it is ridiculous to pray to St. Anthony for lost screws when these two poor girls are still missing.  So I've said a prayer to St. Anthony to please let us find those girls.  And if you are reading this, please, whatever your beliefs, ask St. Anthony for help finding Elizabeth and Lyric.  It's not hard, just close your eyes, turn your mind to him and ask for these girls by name.  Or, if you have another strategy to find lost objects, use your own method and make a comment about it below if you'd like.  Whatever aid the collective power of our minds and prayers can offer to help Elizabeth and Lyric and their families it will be worth it.  And it certainly can't hurt.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teapots Happen

The Daily Coyote

Library Divination